Monday, May 17, 2010

Gluten-Free Items I love

I first went gfree in 2004.  I read a lot of labels that year.  It is amazing what items they slide B.R.O.W. [barley, rye, oats, & wheat] into.  Not that I ever ate a lot of packaged foods to begin with, however there are simple things that I used to use that are contaminated, such as: energy bars, soy sauce, tea, etc

Now, it is not a big deal because I have replaced the old items with new GF ones.

I put together a list for my readers.  Whether you have been gf for a day or a decade, it is always fun to find new items that give more variety and simplify our lives.  I think that one thing about GF living is that it can get a bit complicated so I have tried to simplify my life and remove the clutter of eating & living.  I continually try to purge items that take me away from the precious time with my family, friends, and work.

What items make your GF life easier?  What are your go to items in your pantry?
These are just a few of the items I like to have on hand at all times.
Simple GF Living Shopping List:

Stash Organic Earl Grey Black & Green Tea:  my favorite, Earl Grey, with the health benefits of black & green tea in one cup.
Think Thin:  great energy bar to grab on the go.  I enjoy the peanut butter one the most, but they are all good.
Strawberry Smoothy:  365 frozen organic strawberries, a banana, So Delicious Coconut Kefir [for the probiotics], & vanilla almond milk.
Mary's Gone Crackers:  these are whole grain crackers.  Fantastic with hummus.
Larabars: great to grab on the way to a hike. I love the lemon. The cashew cookie is not for my palate though.
Tamari: it is kind of like soy sauce, sometimes they hide wheat in tamari too so be sure that it is wheat free.
Quinoa: it is the grain with the highest protein content. I love to make tabouli with it. I like the Ancient Harvest brand because it is always clean. When I have bought from bulk bins at the market, I have always bit down on a pebble or 2.
Detox tea: we love ending the day with detox tea. Note that some detox teas add barley. Yogi Detox is GF.
Chipotles in Adobo Sauce: smokey, spicy flavor of the chipotles is great in chilis, mixed with pizza sauce, mix with sour cream for fish tacos [full recipe soon to come].
Chicken Broth: great for cooking up veggies, creating soups. I love to make a chipotle soup which I will share with you soon.



To your health,

Kelly, Co-Founder of The Gluten Free Bistro

Gluten-free in Boulder, CO

Are you tired of gluten-free products that taste like cardboard?  So were we when we started our company.

To order The Gluten Free Bistro's Gourmet Pizza Crust, go here: http://www.theglutenfreebistro.com/products.html

1 comment:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Derek Weller . Derek Weller said: Gluten-Free Items I love - The Gluten Free Bistro: Stash Organic Earl Grey Black & Green Tea: my favorite, Earl Gr... http://bit.ly/db3BeV [...]

    ReplyDelete