Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Toll House Cookies Converted to GFree!

Who doesn't love a toll house cookie!?!  The classic recipe has been around since the 30's and I haven't been able to have one in years.  So I tried the recipe with our Bistro Blend Flour yesterday, then had 6 cookies because I couldn't stop eating them.  They were fantastic and authentic!  I figured that I could have one for every mile I ran yesterday.

How I went about it...

The recipe is on the back of the bag, as you probably remember.


Ingredients




  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar

  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 2 large eggs

  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

  • 1 cup chopped nuts


PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.



  • Exchanged the All-Purpose Flour in the recipe 1:1 for the Bistro Blend GF Flour (www.theglutenfreebistro.com)

  • Used the High Altitude Baking instructions because I live at 6,200 feet

  • Reduced the oven temp to 350 and baked for 15 minutes



I did drop cookies at the time I made the dough, and then wrapped the rest in parchment so I could hand them off to my friend.  The dough also works as an ice box cookie, to be sliced and baked whenever you would like fresh cookies.  The batch makes 5 dozen cookies.   They are sooo good.  You won't be disappointed.







Our Bistro Blend GF Flour is made of all whole grain and non-GMO flours.  It is now available for purchase on our website.  http://www.theglutenfreebistro.com/products.html

Enjoy, my gluten-free friends!

Kelly

Co-Founder of the Gluten Free Bistro

http://www.theglutenfreebistro.com/products.html

No comments:

Post a Comment